Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Don't Know what I Wrote. I'm in My Period.

Quoted from Norah's graduation speech on The Beaver (2011):
Good afternoon, graduates, dead poets, painters, future Einsteins, and all those in between. Today I'm here to warn you that you are being lied to. Our parents, our teachers, our doctors have lied to us. And it's the exact same lie. The same six words, "Everything is going to be okay."
But what if it isn't?
What if some of human experience is just something you inherit, like curly hair or blue eyes? What if pain is just in your DNA and tragedy is your birthright? Or what if sometimes right out of the blue, when you least expect it, shit just happens?
Shit does happen. Every day. It depends on you whether you want to pass it by or keep thinking about it then get frustrated then start to think that everything around you is nothing but bullshit.
[Okay, I'm sure, right now, you're all thinking, "Man, this is the darkest graduation speech I've ever heard." And it is. I agree with you, but I didn't write it. I've spent so much time waiting for this lie to come true that I finally paid someone to tell the truth for me.]
I'm not okay. Not at all.
The truth is, I'm missing something, the thing I loved the most, the face I wish were in the front row right now. The brother I'll never get back.
They say that people come and go but the memory stands still. That's the problem. The truth is, a beautiful memory is a small and deep hole. It seems like it will not hurt you; but once you step on it, you will fall so deep and stick in it. When you're trying to pull yourself out, well, you'd better not, it will be extremely hurt.
So what do I do with that? What do any of us do, besides lie?
People lie. Cheat. Run from your life. But if you ask, "Why do people change into someone they said they'd never be?" let me tell you the answer.
Shit happens to them. They want to protect themselves in order to avoid the shit itself.

People let you down. Leave. Then you get hurt. My mom once told me, if a person disappoints you and it hurts you so bad, it's because you love that person very much.
Go blame yourself for loving them.

And here's what a wise man said, "Rejection doesn't hurt, expectation does."
Go blame yourself for expecting too much.
This is what I believe.
Right now, there is someone who is with you. Someone who is willing to pick you up, dust you off, kiss you, forgive you, put up with you, wait for you, carry you, love you.
So, while everything may not always be okay, one thing I know is true. You do not have to be alone.
That's true.. theoretically.